Attorney David W. Bianchi
40 Years of Hazing Experience
David Bianchi is a trial lawyer with 40 years of experience representing clients in cases throughout Florida and the United States. He is recognized as one of the country’s most successful lawyers in fraternity hazing cases having obtained the largest fraternity hazing verdict in the country and tens of millions of dollars of settlements and jury verdicts for hazing victims and their families. He is one of the author’s of Florida’s tough felony hazing law, has been an invited speaker on hazing law in Florida and elsewhere and has been interviewed by various television, radio and newspapers on hazing issues.
In addition, he has been honored by his fellow lawyers with numerous awards including annual inclusion in the prestigious “Best Lawyers in America” publication; “Super Lawyers;” Florida Trend’s “Legal Elite;” “Top Lawyers;” etc. He has been selected by the "Best Lawyers in America" publication as Miami "Lawyer of the Year" numerous times for representing people who were injured as a result of defective products, as well as his accomplishments in personal injury litigation. In addition to his experience with hazing cases, David has represented clients in a wide variety of product liability cases and obtained the first defective airbag verdict against Mercedes Benz in the country.
This is what the Best Lawyer's website states about David’s “Lawyer of the Year” award:
Lawyers being honored as "Lawyer of the Year" are selected based on particularly impressive voting averages received during the exhaustive peer-review assessments we conduct with thousands of leading lawyers each year. Receiving this designation reflects the high level of respect a lawyer has earned among other leading lawyers in the same communities and the same practice areas for their abilities, their professionalism, and their integrity.
Mr. Bianchi has represented clients in a wide variety of cases including business disputes, defective cars and trucks, class actions, suits arising from poorly constructed homes, medical and legal malpractice, automobile accidents, negligent security claims, claims against insurance agents and insurance companies, airplane crashes and many others.
Notable Case Verdicts & Settlements
Mr. Bianchi obtained a $14 million verdict for the parents of Chad Meredith who died in a fraternity related hazing event at the University of Miami which is believed to be the largest hazing verdict in the country and he obtained the first verdict in the country against Mercedes-Benz in a case involving a defective airbag system in a Mercedes. He has successfully represented clients in cases against Toyota, Nissan, Chrysler, Suzuki and Ford as well. To date, he has obtained hundreds of millions of dollars of verdicts and settlements for his clients.
Past & Present Professional Memberships
Mr. Bianchi has been active in legal and professional organizations for over thirty years:
- He is a former member of the Florida Bar's Board of Governors where he chaired the Insurance Practices Special Study Committee, a committee that created a new disclosure form for use in certain lawsuits in Florida which was subsequently adopted and made mandatory by the Florida Supreme Court.
- He is past chairman of the Trial Lawyer's Section of the Florida Bar, an organization of 6,500 lawyers representing both plaintiffs and defendants.
- He is past chairman of the Joint Committee of the Trial Lawyers Section and the Conference of Circuit and County Court Judges resulting in the publication of a handbook for judges and lawyers that is now updated and republished every year.
- He is past President of the Young Lawyers Division of the Florida Bar, an organization of 14,000 lawyers, and the recipient of the 2000 Florida Bar President's award for "Outstanding" contributions to the Bar and to the citizens of the State of Florida.
- He is a member of the American Board of Trial Advocacy, an invitation-only group of trial lawyers who have tried at least 25 cases to verdict.
- He is a former member of the board of directors of the Coral Gables Bar Association.
Giving Back to the Community
In addition to his activities involving the practice of law, David has been active in charitable, community and business activities as well. For many years, he and his wife Julia were very involved in supporting Kristi House, a local charity that provides services to children who are victims of sexual abuse. For many years David served as the auctioneer for the organization's principal fundraising dinner. Along with his wife, he has chaired the Annual Ball for the American Red Cross in Miami and has been a regular supporter of several programs under the auspices of the Red Cross. He is frequently asked to serve as the auctioneer for various charitable galas and he has successfully done so for the Red Cross, Kristi House, the Sylvester Cancer Institute, the Stan Hywett Hall and Gardens in Akron, Ohio, Plymouth Congregational Church in Coconut Grove, Florida and for an Olympic campaign for a two person sailing team from Miami.
David has served in various other leadership positions in the community:
- David is the past chairman of the Board of Trustees of Plymouth Congregational Church. He chaired the annual fundraising campaign for the church and is a former Moderator for Plymouth, the highest lay position within the structure of the Congregational Church. Additionally, he recently served on the pastoral search committee.
- He is a past director of the Fisher Island Club, Inc. on Fisher Island, Florida, and was the chairman of the board of the Harborview Condominium Association for 10 years on Fisher Island.
- He is a former Vice-Chairman of the holding company of Florida Savings Bank, a local bank that was sold to Commerce Bank.
- A former director of Affomix Corporation, an antibody company spun out of Yale University that was sold to Illumina, Inc.
- The former Chairman of GnuBIO, Inc., a DNA sequencing company spun out of Harvard University that was sold to Bio Rad, Inc. and related matters.
In addition to his legal and charitable work, David is the author of "Blue Chip Kids; what every kid (and parent) should know about money, investing and the stock market." The book was published by Wiley and became the #1 book on Amazon for "Kids and Money." A television series about the book appeared on public television stations in half the markets in the United States. David is a frequent speaker on the subject of the importance of teaching financial literacy to young people and has been interviewed on more than 50 TV and radio stations throughout the United States and Canada about the subject.
Areas of Practice
- Fraternity Hazing Law
- Sorority Hazing Law
- High School Hazing Law
- College Hazing Law
- Organizational Hazing Law
- Sports Teams Hazing Law
- Military Hazing Law
- Admiralty & Maritime Law
- Business & Commercial Law
- Legal Malpractice
- Litigation & Appeals
- Medical Malpractice Law
- Motor Vehicle Accidents - Plaintiff
- Nursing Home
- Personal Injury - Plaintiff
- Products Liability Law
- Professional Malpractice Law
- Toxic Torts
- Litigation Percentage
- 100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- Florida, 1979
- U.S. Court of Appeals 11th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Florida
- New York
- Washington D.C.
- Boston College Law School, Boston, Massachusetts, 1979 J.D.
- Tufts University, 1976 B.A., Magna Cum Laude with a degree in Economics.
- Construction Accidents: The Search For A Defendant , Florida Bar Journal, Oct., 1984
- Negligent Operation Of A Pleasure Boat, American Jurisprudence, Proof of Fact 2d, Vol. 43, 1985
- All Our Lawyers Are Juris Doctors, Florida Bar Journal, Jan., 1989
Honors & Awards
- Top Attorneys by South Florida Legal Guide (2018)
- Trial Practice, Personal Injury, and Wrongful Death – Plaintiff
- "Lawyer of the Year" by Best Lawyers for Product Liability Litigation - Plaintiffs, Miami (2019)
- "Lawyer of the Year" by Best Lawyers for Product Liability Litigation - Plaintiffs, Miami (2017)
- "Lawyer of the Year" by Best Lawyers for Personal Injury Litigation - Plaintiffs, Miami (2016)
- "Lawyer of the Year" by Best Lawyers for Product Liability Litigation - Plaintiffs, Miami (2013)
- Best Lawyers® for Personal Injury Litigation - Plaintiffs
- Best Lawyers® for Product Liability Litigation - Plaintiffs
- Nominee, Trial Lawyer of the Year, Trial Lawyers for Public Justice, 1989
- The Florida Bar, President's Award of Merit, 2000, in recognition of his outstanding leadership as Chairman of the Insurance Practices Special Study Committee and the adoption of a Client's Bill of Rights for the benefit of all lawyers and citizens of the State of Florida
- Selected to Super Lawyers (2007 - 2018)
Birth Information: 1954, Bellport, New York, United States of America
We Don't Just Talk About Results. We Get Them.
Stewart Tilghman Fox Bianchi & Cain, P.A. won a record verdict for a 77-year-old stroke victim who lost the use of the left side of her body due to the negligence of her doctors. Despite being at a higher risk for blood clots and strokes, her cardiologist and electrophysiologist (a heart rhythm specialist) took her off Coumadin—a medication designed for preventing blood clots and strokes. The defendants argued that the patient didn’t deserve a large verdict due to her advanced age and lower life expectancy. The jury saw through their cynical arguments and awarded our client nearly $8 million—the most damages awarded to a malpractice victim over the age of 70 in Florida history.
$650 Million RICO Cases
$15 Million Birth Injury
$15 Million Truck Accidents
$14.5 Million Pedestrian Accidents
$14 Million Personal Injury
$12 Million Defective Products
$11 Million Personal Injury
$10.6 Million RICO Cases
$10 Million Medical Malpractice
$10 Million RICO Cases